Sammy Hagar Slams Eddie Van Halen RE: Michael Anthony...


Eddie Van Halen recently downplayed the importance of former Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony in forging the group's signature sound, causing ex-VH singer Sammy Hagar to strike back with a steaming response.

Chatting with Billboard, Eddie defended his decision to hire his son Wolfgang as the band's new bassist after Anthony's departure.

"Every note Mike ever played, I had to show him how to play. Before we'd go on tour, he'd come over with a video camera and I'd have to show him how to play all the parts," he said.



Focusing on Michael's vocals, Eddie continued, "Mike's voice is like a piccolo trumpet. But he's not a singer. He just has a range from hell. Mike was just born with a very high voice. I have more soul as a singer than he does. And you know, people always talk about Mike's voice on Van Halen songs, but that's a blend of Mike's voice and my voice. It's not just him."

Sammy was quick to react with a brief video, saying: "It's really irritating to see them go after Mikey. Mikey didn't do anything - ever - to Van Halen.

Anthony also commented on Eddie's comments, briefly noting, "I am proud to say that my bass playing and vocals helped create our sound. I've always chosen to take the high road and stay out of the never-ending mudslinging, because I believe that it ultimately ends up hurting the Van Halen fans."

VIDEO: