Can Guitar Picks Gave You Cancer? Eddie Van Halen Thinks So...


Guitar icon Eddie Van Halen recently shared an interesting theory behind his tongue cancer diagnosis back in 2000, ...blaming his guitar picks.

Chatting with Billboard, Eddie Van Halen admitted that heavy drug and smoking addictions likely had their role in the mix, but stressed that it was more likely his steel guitar picks which played a seemingly crucial role in his cancer.

"I used metal picks - they're brass and copper - which I always held in my mouth, in the exact place where I got the tongue cancer," the axeman explained.



"Plus, I basically live in a recording studio that's filled with electromagnetic energy," he added.

"So that's one theory. I mean, I was smoking cigarette a lot, and doing a lot of drugs too, and a lot of everything else... But at the same time, my lungs are totally clear. This is just my own theory, but the doctors also say it's possible."

As of 2002, Eddie is officially cancer-free.