GUITAR THEORY: The "CAGED" System



Andrew Wasson of Creative Guitar Studio answer's a viewers question...

"I'm bored of the chords I know. I started doing a little research on chords and I found out you could play any one chord all over the neck. Then, I ran into something called The, CAGED," system and for the life of me, I cannot find a video lesson that explains it thoroughly.

I was wondering if you could do something on that topic. I'm sure many people would find this information very helpful, along with myself."

Thanks in advance,
Dan - Allentown, PA.

The "C.A.G.E.D. System" addresses the idea of how a set of five open position chords (many guitarists learn early on in their playing days) can be re-fingered and then moved-out along the entire fingerboard. This creates a series of chords based upon the originals which are completely movable.

An important second step with this idea is to examine how octaves operate inside these chord types. Once a student can understand how the octaves lay themselves out, then students can begin practice of scales and arpeggios as well as other types of chords using the framework initially established with the learning of the C.A.G.E.D. System.

- Andrew Wasson
Creative Guitar Studio