Earning a Living Playing Metal Is Near Impossible



Accept guitarist Wolf Hoffmann has been speaking with Powerline (via Classic Rock Magazine) about the current state of play in the music industry. Hoffmann, who is also a keep photographer, admits that he doesn't expect to make much money out of Accept, and plays in the band for the love of it:

"I've been a photographer and quite successful at it, and very comfortable with what I was doing. If I was only trying to survive or make a living or earn money, I'd be doing photography all day long. It's much easier. And less stressful."

"But the big question for me is: is it as rewarding? I'd probably have to give the honest answer, 'no.' Music is much more rewarding in the end."

"I think it is still frickin' hard to make a living in this kind of thing. And you'd be crazy to do music to earn a living. I've said it again and again, and this is not the only motivation for us by far: we really want this because we love doing it."


"But if it was a way for us to make a living only, it would be tough, man. Fortunately, we now built up our business to where it's really becoming a business again. But if you're in the music business trying to make money with metal nowadays, good luck. It's not easy."

Accept are currently touring in support of their 14th album, "Blind Rage."

Check out Accept's metal classic 1984 hit, "Balls to the Wall."